Thursday, May 14, 2015

Paintings here - there - everywhere!

This month has been a month of painting meander! Last May 6th,  I took 8 paintings to display at the Body and Wellness Family Chiropractic Clinic in Ajax, which will run for two months through the Art in Public Places project of the PineRidge Arts Council.   On May 10th, I picked up 9 paintings from Stax Gallery, Hamilton which will unfortunately close down their doors in the next few months.  May 12th, I picked up 10 paintings at the Whitby Chamber of Commerce, which was on display since last February.

All these movements with  paintings do take time.  From planning pieces to display, labelling, packaging and transporting... everything takes time.  Then once in the location, set-up and hanging could take a few hours.  Then once the display is over, gathering the pieces, packing them properly and bringing them back to my studio to organize and store.

For the most part, most establishments have great people to help you get everything set up and hanged.  Most of those helping the artist get set up is voluntary.  In my case, at the Chiropractic Clinic, Dr. Robbie Berman personally worked with me to hang my pieces!  Now how cool is that?! Thanks Dr. Robbie!


However, there are risks in displaying your art here - there  and everywhere!  Last February, 14 paintings of mine on display at Rawlicious Restaurant in Whitby was at risk!  The pub beside Rawlicious caught fire and was burnt down.  My paintings on display rested on the wall where the fire was located. My pieces are now with restorers, apparently with smoke and water damage.  Up to this writing, I have not seen my paintings and it is worrying me.  The only saving grace is that the restaurant owner told me that everything in their restaurant is covered by their insurance.

 
I do hope to hear from them soon!!

Marissa


No comments:

Post a Comment