Saturday, May 23, 2015

My Nemesis!

For the past two weeks, I have been painting a 36" x 36" canvas for my Passages Between Two Worlds exhibition and as soon as I thought it was finished, I had a spark of madness!!

This piece is called " My Nemesis" inspired by a sculpture of my artist friend Erika Takacs. It took about 3 months to come up with the concept and how to assemble my ideas.  I decided on a mixed media piece and started collecting materials to help tell my story.

Paint, assembly, collage... work work work...then two days ago, I decided to add another layer of mixed media which took the painting into a place I did not want it to go.  It went too far!!! Crap! I lost my initial layers and lost some of the technical work I wanted to convey.  I was mad! Frustrated with myself.

But giving up is not an option... I kept on working on it, until today, 2 days later, it has morphed into a combination of the past work mixed with new.  It looked and felt it is now finished.  It has been reborn!!

Come to think of the title of the piece, "My Nemesis",.  led me to think that I am my worst enemy, and that if I focussed on the negative, I am unsure how things would have gone?  I focussed on the positive and saw the opportunity to turn the painting around....


Till the next time...
Marissa
My palette for "Nemesis"
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment